Advertisement

Subject, Predicate, Object and Complement in a sentence.

Subject, Predicate, Object and Complement in a sentence. Exercise
A. State whether the part of the sentence in brackets is subject or predicate.
1. We want (some fruit juice)
2. (The boy) ate the apple.
3. The boy (ate the apple).
4. (I) need help with this math problem.
5. Next week (my grandmother) is coming from Korea.
6. Karen likes (Fred).
7. (My favourite month) is May.
8. May (is my favourite month).
9. Our homeroom (is having a pizza party tomorrow).
10. Smoking causes (cancer).
11. (Football) is played in every country in the world.
12. Yasmin (yawned).
13. My expensive new watch (has stopped).
14. Daniel made a (sandwich).
15. (Sitting on the roof of my house was) a huge black bird.
16. The earthquake damaged (my house).
17. (After dinner) I (like to have a little sleep in front of the television).
18. I (always bring my dictionary to class).
19. You (have a vocabulary test tomorrow).
20. My friend and I (went shopping).
21. At the weekend (my mother) works at a sports club.
22. Jennifer lied to (Sam).
23. (Both my parents) have to work at the weekend.
24. On the way from school to Frankfurt yesterday afternoon (bus number 21) crashed into a parked car.
25. A student and the bus driver (were injured in the crash).
26. John was helping (his mother) all evening.
27. (In the ESL lesson tomorrow) you (will have a vocabulary test).
28. On Saturday mornings (my friends and I) play football in the park.
29. (The ozone hole over Antarctica) is getting larger every year.
30. (The old hotel in the town center) is going to be knocked down to make way for a new shopping center.
31. I helped (him).
32. After doing his homework (John) went to bed.
33. A glacier (is a river of ice moving slowly down a mountain).
34. Have you found (my bag)?
35. Of all the months in the year (May) is my favourite.
36. In most English sentences (the subject) comes before the predicate.
37. Occasionally (the predicate) comes before the subject.
38. Waiting by the school gate in the rain was (my mother).
39. I didn't want (those horrible cakes that you made).
40. (In this quiz you have been tested on) your (knowledge of subject and predicate).
41. I lost (the book that I'd borrowed from the school).


B. Identify the subject and the predicate in the following sentences.
1. The sun was shining brightly.
2. The dogs were barking loudly.
3. The pretty girl was wearing a blue frock.
4. My younger brother serves in the army.
5. The man and his wife were working in their garden.
6. My mother and my aunt are trained classical dancers.
7. You don’t have to wait for me.
8. We will no longer tolerate this.
9. The little tree was covered with needles instead of leaves.
10. A rich merchant was passing by the shoemaker’s window.


C. Identify the complement in each of the following sentences, and note whether it is a subject complement or an object complement.
1. Pablo is extremely intelligent.
2. I find him intelligent.
3. Shyla eventually became my best friend.
4. Our neighbor's dogs are very dangerous.
5. Ginger's hair dye turned the water pink.
6. After our disagreement on the first day of school, Jenny became my friend for life.
7. We painted the ceiling blue.
8. You are making me sad.
9. Paula is a good dancer.
10. Dorothy named her parakeet Onan.
11. Known as "the father of the Texas blues," Blind Lemon Jefferson was a popular entertainer in the 1920s.
12. The gift Karen gave her brother was a hamster.
13. Buck grew up in Oklahoma and became an expert horse rider before reaching his 18th birthday. 
14. I once considered Nancy my fiercest enemy.
15. After reviewing the details of the case, the court pronounced the boy not guilty.
16. By the second month of the drought, the river had run dry.


D. Identify the verb, subject complement, direct object, indirect object and object complement in the following sentences.
1. George is the captain.
2. The judge pronounced the judgment.
3. My sister looked worried.
4. Parents should be kind to their children.
5. Mother brought us tea.
6. The officer asked him several questions.
7. Let us send him our greetings.
8. We should keep our surroundings clean.
9. My aunt has brought me a computer.
10. The class elected Martin their monitor.
11. Our visit made the host happy.
12. This book is interesting.

sentence.

Post a Comment

0 Comments